Monday, May 29, 2006

On This Monday



I should be writing about Memorial Day but I have a bad cold and my head is full of snot, with too little space in it for my usual muse guy Erato who has decided to go out and march in one of the parades. His chest is covered with medals, most of them undeserved. It would be ok if he had attached them to something more military than his chesthairs.

But I digress and also sound disrespectful. What do you wish people today? Have a happy Memorial Day? It doesn't sound right. So I won't write anything about the day except that I hope you have good thoughts today.

Myself, I have problems with thoughts for the reasons of snot, so I have been spending a lot of time reading instead. I just finished The Wimp Factor (which will be fodder for a future post), also Marilynne Robinson's Gilead, and I'm now coughing and sneezing my way through Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel which makes me talk back to Diamond a lot. I'll probably read his Collapse tonight if I don't collapse first of this damn cold. Whoever heard of a cold in May?

But being sick has always provided a good excuse for reading, so that's what I'm doing right now.

If you wish, you can use the comments threads to discuss these books or others you like better.