Monday, November 13, 2006

Contraception Is Not The Answer



I somehow got on the mailing list of the people who keep saying that contraception is not the answer. I'd like to know what the question is, actually.

So far I've been told that oral contraceptives cause breast cancer and that it doesn't matter if they protect against other types of cancers and that the hormonal patch causes death. Nothing about how much death giving birth causes, of course.

There are days when I don't want to get out of bed because my calendar might show that the year is around 1000 C.E., and that there is no such thing as human rights. I thought the election would give me a few weeks of breathing space from this mad race back to patriarchy but I guess not.

The next logical stage is that I'll be put on the mailing list of someone who argues that modern medicine is not the answer because medications have side-effects, too. And then there will be a mailing list about how we shouldn't cut our fingernails because they grow for a purpose only gods can ascertain and who are we to argue back to gods.

Well, I guess I can argue back, given that I'm a goddess.