Wednesday, December 05, 2007

An Aviator Helmet for an Elephant (Not Politics, Surprisingly)



If any of you have an elephant whose head gets cold in the winter, let me know. I just finished knitting an aviator helmet and it turned out a tad too big. I'm an experienced knitter so I know that one never should omit the "check the gauge" stage, but I did omit it. Bad me. Then the pattern was so very odd that there was no way for me to tell how it would look until it was finished. It looks very funny on my head. As if my head had suddenly shrunk.

Anyway, the only reason I'm writing about this is to get over the blah hump. Well, that and this odd aspect of some people (ahem) who can't give up on a failed project. I have toyed with the idea of turning the helmet into one of those Dutch caps with wings, for example. Like this:





Also with the idea of severely boiling the helmet to see if it would accidentally shrink to the right size. But then it would look like a tea cozy, I think. Or I could just pretend the knitting is material and sew new seams to make it smaller.

Or I could compost it. I should compost it.