Sunday, March 30, 2008

Selected By Bibliomancy

How happy is the little Stone
That rambles in the Road alone,
And doesn't care about Careers
And Exigencies never fears-
Whose Coat of elemental Brown
A passing Universe put on,
And independent of the Sun
Associates or glows alone,
Fulfilling absolute Decree
In casual simplicity -

Emily Dickinson

La Loba

I am like the she-wolf.
I broke with the pack
And fled to the mountains
Tired of the plain.

I have a son, the outcome of love without marriage,
For I couldn't be like the others, another ox
With its neck in a yoke; I hold my proud head high!
I plow through the underbrush with my own hands.

Yo soy como la loba.
Quebré con el rebaño
Y me fui a la montaña
Fatigada del llano.

Yo tengo un hijo fruto del amor, de amor sin ley,
que yo no pude ser como las otras, casta de buey
con yugo al cuello; libre se eleve mi cabeza!
Yo quiero con mis manos apartar la maleza.

Alfonsina Storni 1892 - 1938,
a fragment from La Loba, translated by Jim Normington