- Peel two or three pink grapefruit. Take off the pith, too. Slice the grapefruit crosswise and then separate the sections. Put them in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Clean a bunch of arugula.
- (Very) Thinly slice a small red onion.
- Get a handful of pitted, oil-cured black olives.
- Toss all of the above together with extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Don't like grapefruit? Substitute oranges or blood oranges. That's what the traditional recipe calls for. My grandfather used to make it with lemons! I like it with pink grapefruit.