Thursday, July 08, 2010

When Life Gives You Lemons






You smile and make a big jug of ice-cold lemonade! Or if you are Sharron Angle, running for the Nevada Senate seat, you apply the metaphor to rape and incest victims:

STOCK: What do you say then to a young girl, I am going to place it as he said it, when a young girl is raped by her father, let's say, and she is pregnant. How do you explain this to her in terms of wanting her to go through the process of having the baby?

ANGLE: I think that two wrongs don't make a right. And I have been in the situation of counseling young girls, not 13 but 15, who have had very at risk, difficult pregnancies. And my counsel was to look for some alternatives, which they did. And they found that they had made what was really a lemon situation into lemonade. Well one girl in particular moved in with the adoptive parents of her child, and they both were adopted. Both of them grew up, one graduated from high school, the other had parents that loved her and she also graduated from high school. And I'll tell you the little girl who was born from that very poor situation came to me when she was 13 and said 'I know what you did thank you for saving my life.' So it is meaningful to me to err on the side of life.

So much to address there, so little time. But perhaps Angle will also demand that anyone who matches must be forced to donate a kidney to a needy person. The experience offers us lemons which we can then turn into a spiritual lemonade!

When life gives me lemons I prefer to squirt them in the eyes of mine enemies.