Monday, August 22, 2011

What I Made This Weekend (by res ipsa)

Double chocolate (raspberry) layer cake for The GC's birthday.

This recipe is just great. The cake was a huge hit. The ganache is super-chocolatey, but not sweet. The raspberry filling is light and not sweet, either. The cake is both rich and sweet, not to mention incredibly moist, so moist that it took some wrangling to split the layers horizontally, which I wanted to do so that I'd wind up with three layers of raspberry. The recipe calls for "fine quality" semisweet chocolate. I used Ghiradelli. No idea if that qualifies, but it worked out beautifully. I made the ganache and the raspberry filling a day ahead, and nuked the ganache for less than ten seconds to get it spreadable. (Yes, I know that's not ideal, you're supposed to do it a la minute, but that's what I did, and it worked well.)

By the way, the recipe makes a LOT of cake. I had two big 9" layers, plus six good-sized cupcakes.